Monday, September 24, 2007

Surrender to September














Despite the unseasonably high temperatures here in Vermont, the autumnal equinox has passed and there is plenty of evidence that the seasons are changing- the leaves are starting to turn color and drop from their summer residences, the days are becoming noticeably shorter, and my favorite crossing guard is back at work.

At the beginning of September, I always feel a tinge of sadness and panic. Even though I no longer work as a classroom teacher, I still have that feeling that I need to get my but in gear and start thinking a little less about the water temperature and a little more about work. At the same time, there is something about September that feels like a relief. During the dog days of July and August, particularly here in Vermont, I always feel this need to be outside accomplishing things while there's still plenty of warmth and daylight. I'm sure that when people really had to store enough food to make it through the long New England winters, this feeling of limited time to accomplish summer chores was much more profound. I did do a little bit of canning and freezing this summer, but I certainly did not spend the majority of August in the kitchen ensuring that we would have enough food to make it through the winter. Still, the feeling must be embedded in my psyche from generations past. In September, there is enough daylight to still get out and play, but a sense that it is also okay to take things a little slower. It reminds me a little bit of how I feel about being in my 30's. There is still plenty of time to play, but I don't feel like I have to burn the candle at both ends just because I can.

This past Saturday, we went up to a friend's cabin on Caspian Lake. The temperature was in the 70's, but there had already been a frost. The water was still swimmable and the warm air made a bathing suit seem like appropriate attire, but it also seemed like a good time to pull out an almost finished knitting project. Those are Robb's socks, an overdue birthday present. So, there I am lapping up the September sun with a pile of wool on my lap. It seems like a perfect activity to celebrate the autumnal equinox. Ella enjoyed the water, too.

3 Comments:

At 7:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My feelings of Autumn are similar, but I also have a little trepidation about the long, dark days of winter ahead.

 
At 7:22 PM, Blogger Tricia said...

I know exactly what you mean about the summer/fall transition.

 
At 10:06 AM, Blogger Katura said...

I love September in Vermont!
Enjoy it for me :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home