Saturday, December 01, 2007

Cold, But Colorful (and PIF)

It is 9 degrees (Fahrenheit) here in Montpelier, Vermont. We have a couple of inches of snow of the ground and a big storm, that is supposed to dump a foot of snow by Monday is headed our way. Actually, I kind of enjoy the cold weather and I love how the snow makes a messy world look perfect. The thing that gets me in the winter are the short days and the limited colors in the natural world. So, I was really excited when I found out that there was going to be a winter farmer's market the first Saturday of the month after the summer market ended. Going to the farmer's market is a Saturday morning ritual that I really look forward to late May through early October. When the last one comes, there is this feeling of sadness, both for the end of the growing season and the absence of a social ritual during the darkest months of the year. So, today I headed up to the winter farmer's market. I purchased these beautiful purple potatoes and cheerful orange carrots. Of equal importance, I got to chat with those acquaintances in town who seem to disappear in the winter. Even if I did have a root cellar or had managed to preserve enough food for the winter, I think I would still go just for the joy of being around people, food, and crafty things on a cold Saturday morning.
Of course, another way that I fill my eyes with color in the winter are knitting projects and stash enhancements. I picked up an abandoned cardigan project that I started over a year ago, abandoned for about ten months, and have finally picked it back up and made some real progress in the last few weeks. The yarn is nothing short of delicious-Fibre Company's Terra yarn in nettle. It is a merino/alpaca/silk mix that makes for a lovely texture and color variations. I am determined to finish this project before the new year. If you don't see it a finished object posted by the end of this month, I give you permission to remind me of this promise.In addition to WIPs, I have also justified light deprivation as a reason to enhance my stash and plan my knitting project the forseeable future. I just purchased this lovely skein of Real Vermonter yarn from Jessie at a Piece of Vermont. It is made entirely from Vermont fiber (romney/corriedale, mohair, and alpaca) and dyed in lovely shades of blue, grey, and a hint of purple. I am planning on making the koolhaas hat from interweave knits holiday issue with this skein. Finally, I am working on my first pair of fingerless gloves. This pair is for Robb. The yarn is Berocco ultra alpaca. I find projects that require new skills, such as a thumb, are best given to people who already love and appreciate you. That way if the thumb is in the wrong place or some other major knitting error is made, the recipient will still wear them and tell you how talented you are. Finally, I have jumped on the Pay it Forward bandwagon. Here is the official wording explaining this crafty gift-giving opportunity.

The idea of the exchange is I will send a handmade gift to the first three people who leave a comment on this blog post requesting to join this PIF exchange. I don’t know what that gift will be yet, and you may not receive it tomorrow or next week, but you will receive it within 365 days, that is my promise! The only thing you have to do in return is pay it forward by making the same promise on your blog - this means you must have a blog, sorry blogless readers.

So leave a comment if you want to receive something from me, and post about it on your blog.

3 Comments:

At 6:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah for a winter farmer's market! I get so depressed when our CSA ends and we don't get weekly organic veggies anymore.
I'd sign up for PIF, but then it would be just some kind of swap between us;-)

 
At 3:22 AM, Blogger jessie said...

I can't take the pressure of the PIF!

Yay for the farmer's market. (BTW, we ended up not going to the local-foods dinner, I'm afraid. The budget frowned on a night out during the week. Maybe next year!)

 
At 2:11 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Sarah,

I'm filling out holiday cards and you were on my list to send one too. I googled you and found your writing....I've missed our contact old friend and want to reconnect.

Hope all is well.
Love,
Alysa
alysab@gmail.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home